Friday, October 2, 2015

Cinnamon Coffee Cake

Yesterday, the students organized "Dessert Day" in class and I brought along a family recipe. I grew up calling this cake, "The Christmas Cake" as it would be served the morning of Christmas day and it was completely acceptable to gorge yourself as it was a special treat (amazing considering even sugar cereals were frowned upon at the Jackson household of my youth).

I had a hankering for it (I mean, it's been ten months) so I pulled out Mom's recipe and baked up TWO cakes for my three classes. Seemed everyone loved it and it was a nice change from Antichrist Brownies (don't worry those will appear at end of semester).
Here is the recipe for "Jeff's Mom's Christmas (or anytime) Cinnamon Coffee Cake":

1 pkg white or yellow cake mix
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding
4 eggs
8oz sour cream
1/2  cup oil (vegetable not SAE)
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon
There is a version that includes nuts but I am not found of nuts in my cake so I'll have to add that later.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix cake mix, pudding, eggs, sour cream, and oil for 10 minutes on low speed.

Mix sugar and cinnamon and set aside.

Pour 1/2 of batter into buttered or cooking sprayed bunt pan.
Sprinkle 1/3 of sugar/cinnamon mixture on top of batter. Draw a knife through the mix to give marbelized look.
Top with remaining batter.
Sprinkle another 1/3 of cinnamon on top of batter and draw knife through again.
Top batter with remaining cinnamon.

Bake for 1 hour.
Allow to cool slightly and remove from pan, cut into slices and gorge! Be sure to leave descreetly before anyone else arrives to make you clean up the sugar cinnamon mess you left behind.
Cake serves one or an entire classroom, whichever.

Happy caking, and thanks for stopping by.

No comments: